Thursday, May 3, 2007

Rosie O'Donnell Steps Away

In an episode last week Rosie O’Donnell announced that she would not be renewing her contract with The View. I must admit that when I heard this my heart sunk and I was sad for a second because I though she had been fired or “forced to resign”, leaving all of her critics jumping in the air with excitement, but I found that she actually quit. She said that after just one year she and ABC couldn’t agree on a contract so she decided to leave.

I’m a huge Rosie fan and I don’t agree with all of her opinions but it’s hard not to respect her courage and zeal to represent such controversial opinions. I wanted to look more into her leaving so I went on YouTube and decided to see what all the buzz was and I had to laugh. People were saying left and right that she was fired and her critics were gleaming and that idiot Donald Trump had a field day. This really goes to show how sad people can be.

There is a story out there that says she didn’t want a longer contract (as ABC wanted her to sign) because she wasn’t entirely comfortable with how they wanted to silence her outside of The View. Rosie’s views might be difficult to handle but isn’t that a spectacular example of our first amendment right? If anything (if this is the reason she turned down such a rich offer) she should be praised for her standing up for her (and our) rights. Whatever the reason for her not continuing as co-host, she has done a remarkable job and could never be replaced. She has added a spark to the television program that no other person can match and given the show a dept that no other show reach. I’m glad I was able to experience the juxtaposition of her opinions with the opinions of the majority. It was definitely a fun ride but I doubt we’ve seen the last of Ms. O’Donnell!

Seek Peace

No comments: